Monday, January 3, 2011

"Ring Out the Old, Ring In the New"

 






As we welcome 2011 and reflect upon the past year, Kyle and I would like to share our "top ten list" of the most notable happenings in our life during 2010.

1. We said goodbye to my beloved first car, an Acura Integra that I'd driven since I was 16.  After losing control of my steering and spinning across four lanes of traffic last spring, it was time to find my trusty Integra a new home.  We replaced it with a much newer and safer SUV, which is ideal for the rocky, desert terrain of New Mexico.

2. Without looking back, I left the realm of special education to give general education a whirl.  I lucked out with a first grade teaching position and am loving the joys and challenges of the switch. 

3. Kyle also obtained a new job in 2010.  He's now employed with a leading technology consulting firm that supports the US government.  

4. In March, Kyle and I made a commitment to live a healthier lifestyle.  Along with eating better and exercising, we lost over 50 pounds  (and counting) combined.  We're hoping to reaffirm this commitment for 2011, although it will be rather challenging now that we're surrounded by tasty Mexican cuisine in Las Cruces.

5. I officially completed my alternative teaching certification program, which means two mandatory years of teaching special education and taking Praxis exams, college courses and seminar classes are behind me!  As a result, I acquired Maryland teaching certification, which was transferable to New Mexico.  So, I got certified there too.

6. Frankly, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention our precious pups!  This past year Tiney and Lola did a lot of growing up.  Now that they've both passed the one and a half year mark, they're both full grown (weighing in at a whopping 7 and 8 pounds), and they've graduated to adult dog food.  Although puppy love is sweet and one-of-a-kind, we're pleased to be parting with the following adolescent nuisances: unnecessary chewing, biting, leash pulling and most of all, accidents. 

7. This Christmas Kyle and I gave each other the gift of bicycles.  Although I've never been much of a cyclist, Kyle took up long distance road biking in college and has been itching to get back into biking ever since.  So, I finally gave in and am looking forward to a lot of quality biking time with my hubby!

8. Since we're now living in a college town, I decided to return to school in pursuit of a masters degree.  I applied and was accepted to graduate school at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces.  I'm hoping to begin taking classes next fall once eligibility for in-state tuition kicks in.

9. We left our east coast roots and moved all the way across the country to little Las Cruces, New Mexico, a place we never imagined we'd visit, much less call home.

10. A new hobby has kept me busy lately and helped me keep in touch with long distance friends and family like you.  Yes, I'm talking about blogging!  I entered the fun and addictive world of blogging and began avidly documenting our adventures in the southwest.

With that, I'd like to wish you and yours a very happy and blessed New Year!  Cheers!

Celebrating New Year's with Cory and Anne