Saturday, May 7, 2011

For Mom

Mom and Me on Easter

To describe and honor my mom this Mother's Day, I selected the following quote from author Tenneva Jordan.  "A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie."

We love our mom!

Now, this particular scenario never actually played out in my household as a child.  On the contrary, everyone in my family knows Sally Ann (Mom) delights in pies of all kinds, including pumpkin, cherry, apple, peach and French silk.  Rather, I selected this quote because it illustrates the constant selflessness of a mother.  Now that is something I've personally witnessed for as long as I've been a daughter. 

Pansies are Mom's favorite flower.

Selflessness from Sally Ann came in many forms and without cease.  After long work days, she made dinner, rides to and from soccer practice and homework help a priority.  Her paychecks were devoted to braces and three smiling faces free of crooked teeth.  God only knows how many winks she lost to preparing dirt dessert cups, mending clothes and costumes, baking yummy holiday dishes and tending to an endless slew of other requests.

 
Acts of love like these have molded her identity as a mother to me and my two sisters.  Somehow she managed to serve as our seamstress, serenader, teacher, cheerleader, chef, chauffeur, nurse,  role model, inspiration and extraordinary, one-of-a-kind mother to three girls.  All the while, she put her needs and wants last and squeezed every ounce of love into everything she did.  For this, I thank and honor her today and everyday.

My Favorite Ladies