Sunday, July 31, 2011

Waitin' on 'Maters

You may remember my earlier post about Kyle's horticulture initiative.  Well, over the last four months, our tomato plant has grown immensely in size and even produced pretty yellow blooms.  However, the plant has become lopsided and hasn't generated the juicy 'maters we'd been craving.  

We debated the cause delaying our tomato development.  Was the pot was too small?  Is the New Mexico summer sun too strong?  Does the plant require a trellis?  Maybe you gifted gardeners can offer some guidance.  As amateurs, we couldn't decide.  

Kyle began neglecting his watering duties, so I took over.  If the plant's health was weak before, its chances for survival and fruit production dropped when I was named caretaker.  Despite my intervention, the plant is still green, and much to my surprise, it has sprouted five small green tomatoes.  Alas!  Alas!  

More pictures will follow once the tomatoes are red, fully grown and ready for pickin'.  

See what I mean about the lopsidedness?

There's three of our baby tomatoes!